How to Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
Are you aware that you can freely upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro with the need to clean install Windows 10 again? You just need to own a genuine Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 8 Pro, or Windows 8 Pro Pack, or Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack edition product key to activate Windows 10 Pro. Here, we will tell how to upgrade from Windows 10 Home edition to Windows 10 Pro for free without the need to do a clean install of Windows 10.
Difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro
Before you upgrade, you should know the difference between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. Windows 10 Pro is what you call the “ultimate edition” that offers all the features Microsoft has to offer. With Windows 10 Pro, you get features like BitLocker, Hyper-V and Remote Desktop. The detailed difference between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro edition can be seen on this page.
Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro Edition Using Windows 7/8/8.1 Product Key
Follow the steps below to upgrade your existing Windows 10 Home edition installation to Windows 10 Pro. Later, you will see how to activate Windows 10 Pro using a product key from one of the above mentioned editions of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.
- In Windows 10 Home edition, open the Settings app from the Start menu or launch it using the Windows Key + I keyboard shortcut.
- Click on the Update & security icon. On the left pane, click on Activation.
- On the Activation window, click on Change product key. Now, click Yes for the UAC prompt to get the Enter a product key window.
- Now, this step is important. Enter the following product key first instead of your own Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 product key. Click on the Next button to begin the upgrade process. Your PC may restart a few times during the upgrade.
- Once Windows 10 Home is upgraded to Windows 10 Pro edition, you need to open the Settings app again. Click on Update & security, and then click on Activation.
- Click on Change product key once again for the last time. Click on Yes for the UAC prompt.
- Enter your original Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 8 Pro, or Windows 8 Pro Pack, or Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key to activate Windows 10 Pro.
- Click Next button to activate your copy of Windows 10 Pro.
Enjoy your upgraded experience of Windows 10 Pro edition with all additional features activated!
Why You Should Upgrade to Windows 10 Before the Free Upgrade Offer Expires?
The number of PCs actively running on Windows 10 has crossed over 300 million. As the Windows 10 free upgrade offer end date is coming near, more users are upgrading to Windows 10 every day. Many Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are upgrading to Windows 10 and then rolling back to lock their PCs to Microsoft servers. This way, even after the free upgrade offer expires they can easily activate Windows 10 on that PC for free. You should also take advantage of the free offer and lock your PC with Windows 10 activation on Microsoft servers. You can easily roll back to Windows 7/8.1 if you do not like Windows 10.