Manually Update Android 4.0.3 ICS On Google Nexus S [How To]
Android 4.0.3 aka Ice Cream Sandwich update is now available for Google Nexus S.
Nexus S users who have already received the update via OTA are already enjoying ICS but what about those folks who are still waiting for the update?
Thanks to XDA-Developers forum member zephiK for providing a manual way to update Nexus S to official Android 4.0.3 (ICS). Before updating please note down the warnings, and please don’t blame us if your device gets damaged or bricked during the update process. Proceed at your own risk. Here’s the method described by him.
Warning: AT&T Nexus S is NOT supported. Only T-Mobile and Retail versions of the Nexus S GSM/UMTS are supported. Please DO NOT proceed if you have the CDMA version of Nexus S.
Note: If your Nexus S is rooted, running a custom ROM, this update may not work for you. It’s advised to revert back to stock Gingerbread ROM on the device and then try with flashing the update.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. Please do not hold My Technology Guide liable for any damage or bricked Nexus S devices during the manual update process.
How To Manually Update Nexus S to Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- First, you need to download the official ICS update for Nexus S: VQ8PQk_V.zip (128.03 MB).
- After download is complete, rename the file to update.zip and copy it to the root of your SD card.
- Switch off the device and then reboot into bootloader mode. (To get into the Bootloader mode, hold Volume up button and the Power button together.)
- Use the Volume key to navigate and select Recovery from the menu to boot into recovery, press the Power button to confirm.
- When you see the warning triangle and arrow, hold the power button and tap volume up. You’ll see a menu.
- Select “Apply update from /sdcard” and select the update.zip file from the list.
- Once the update is flashed, select “reboot system now” to reboot your device.
- Enjoy the cool Ice Cream Sandwich treat by Google this holiday!
Watch the video below by qbking77 to know how to flash the latest Android 4.0.3 on your T-Mobile Nexus S device.