Apple Mac OS X Lion is now available for download from the Mac App Store for $29.99.
Apple has released the eighth major release of the Mac operating system, Lion. Lion includes over 250 new features compared to the earlier version of Mac, Snow Leopard. The flagship operating system is now available as a $29.99 download in the Mac App Store. Those who wants to buy Mac OS X Lion Server should have the Client version of Lion, server version costs $49.99.
Some of the new features include are: new Multi-Touch gestures; system-wide support for full screen apps; Mission Control, an innovative view of everything running on your Mac; the Mac App Store, the best place to find and explore Mac software; Launchpad, a new home for all your apps; and a completely redesigned Mail app.
Lion is the best version of OS X yet, and we’re thrilled that users around the world can download it starting today,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “Lion makes upgrading a Mac easier than ever before; just launch the Mac App Store, buy Lion with your iTunes account, and the download and install process will begin automatically.“
Additional new features in Lion include:
- Resume, which conveniently brings your apps back exactly how you left them when you restart your Mac or quit and relaunch an app;
- Auto Save, which automatically and continuously saves your documents as you work;
- Versions, which automatically records the history of your document as you create it, and gives you an easy way to browse, revert and even copy and paste from earlier versions; and
- AirDrop, which finds nearby Macs and automatically sets up a peer-to-peer wireless connection to make transferring files quick and easy.
Mac OS X Lion Requirements:
- Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor and 2GB of RAM to run Lion. You can easily find out which processor your Mac runs on by clicking the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then choosing About This Mac.
- You must have Snow Leopard to install Lion. Click on the Apple icon and choose Software Update to install Snow Leopard v10.6.8, the latest version to update to Lion.
- A broadband connection is recommended to download the update since the download size is at 4GB. Apple states in its press release that Lion will be available for purchase for $69 on a USB thumb drive in August at Apple retail stores. Apple also confirmed that users who don’t have a broadband Internet connection will be able to download Lion at Apple retail stores.
Those who purchased a new Mac on or after June 6, 2011 are eligible for a free upgrade. The offer is live 30 days from Lion’s release in the Mac App Store. Customers must manually apply for their eligibility within August 19, 2011. Additional information about the program can be found at apple.com/macosx/uptodate.
A word about branding, Apple’s website and in some marketing materials, Apple has referred the new Mac operating system as “OS X Lion.”