How To Completely Remove AVG Antivirus?
AVG Antivirus by AVG Technologies, is a very good antivirus program. However, there are times when you may want to uninstall. You may want to fix AVG by first completely uninstalling it and then reinstalling AVG again or when you want to try another antivirus suite. Also, this “how to” article will come handy when the normal uninstall procedure is not working for you.
The first thing you should try, and, recommended, is uninstall AVG using the Add/Remove Programs (for Windows XP) or using Programs and Features (for Windows 7 and Vista) under Control Panel. Follow these instructions to carry out the task:
- Click on the Start Button, select Control Panel.
- Open Add/Remove Programs (for Windows XP users) or Open Programs and Features (for Windows 7 and Vista users).
- Find AVG in the Programs list and highlight it.
- Click on Remove or right-click and select Uninstall and follow the wizard to uninstall AVG.
- AVG will offer three options to choose from. Choose Uninstall to continue.
- Now, the wizard will ask you if you want to keep AVG Security Toolbar and LinkScanner or not. If you deselect the option, the wizard will further ask if you want to keep your search settings which were modified by AVG. Deselect it too to remove every trace of AVG.
- The wizard will now ask if you want to remove user settings and Virus Vault contents. Select both the options and click on Next.
- AVG Uninstall utility will now take some time to remove everything from your computer. After the process completes, the wizard will ask you to restart your machine. You should now restart to complete the process of removing AVG.
AVG provides an uninstall utility called AVG Remover which is specially made to remove AVG completely from the computer system. AVG Remover deletes everything related to your AVG installation, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc.
If the above procedure to normally remove AVG has failed repeatedly, AVG Remover is the last option to be used. Visit http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities. You’ll find both AVG Remover (32-bit) 2012 and AVG Remover (64-bit) 2012 in the download list. From the list, download the right AVG Remover version to your desktop. Download the 32-bit if you’ve installed AVG Antivirus 32-bit or download the 64-bit if you’ve AVG Antivirus 64-bit installed.
Open the command prompt from the Start Menu. Windows 7 or Vista users should run Command Prompt in elevated command prompt. To run Command Prompt (cmd) in elevated mode, right-click on cmd and select Run as Administrator.
Browse to the location where you’ve downloaded AVG Remover using the
cd command. For example, if you’ve kept the file in your Downloads folder in Windows 7, you should type
avg_remover and press Tab key to complete the filename. Press Enter. You will receive a warning message.
Click on Yes to continue removing AVG from your computer. It may need one or more restarts during the cleaning process.
Once the manual uninstall process has completed, restart your computer. You can then go ahead and install another antivirus or install AVG again.
Note: If you’re still facing problem, please upload your avgremover.log file to your Dropbox account or any cloud storage service (if you’ve one). You’ll find the log file in the same directory where from you ran AVG Remover. Please comment below with your problem in details along with a link to the uploaded avgremover.log file for others to help you.
You can also email it to us. We’ll than be able to help you out. Temporarily email support is not available.