Microsoft has released a new cumulative update (KB3140743) for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. The latest cumulative update includes a number of bug fixes and performance improvements for both the Windows OS editions. This update will replace the previously released update KB3140742. Along with the cumulative update, Microsoft also released Servicing stack update (KB3139907) for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. KB3139907 makes stability improvements for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4 servicing stack.
If you are running Windows 10 Version 1511 or testing Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4, you can download and install the update by opening the Settings app, then clicking on Updates and Security, next on Windows Update. Check for updates and Windows Update will search and list you the latest updates. You can also get the stand-alone package for this update from the Microsoft Update Catalog website. (Look for the download links at the end of this post.)
Note: If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes contained in the latest cumulative update package will be downloaded and installed to your compute. If you are doing this for the first time, for instance after a fresh install of Windows, you may be downloading anywhere between 311 MB to 548 MB. The download package size for the x86 version of the cumulative update is 311 MB while for the x64 version, the download size is 548 MB.
KB3140743 update includes only bug fixes and performance improvements. No new features or security fixes were included in this update.
The important changes include:
- Reliability is improved in various areas of the Windows OS which includes Windows Update installation, startup, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, AppLocker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery, and File Explorer.
- Performance in the generation of video thumbnails is improved. Also the performance of NetLogon, Windows Store, and standby power consumption are improved.
- Support for devices including some wearables, displays, and printers are improved.
- Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted and streamlined notification about the corruption.
- Fixed a bug that caused favorites to be lost after new updates are installed.
- Fixed several issues that individually could cause certain apps to fail to launch, update, or allow in-app purchases.
- Improved voice quality of Cortana and translations of multiple languages of an Internet Explorer dialog box.
- Improved support for apps, fonts, graphics and display, airplane mode, Group Policy, PowerShell MDM, Windows Journal, Microsoft Edge, printing, touch display, roaming credentials, Push-Button Reset, Windows UX, local and streaming video, audio quality, error reporting, USMT, and VHD creation.
How to Download and Install KB3140743 Cumulative Update Manually on Windows 10?
If you manage many Windows 10 PCs, it may be feasible to download the update once manually from Microsoft and install it on all the PCs. You can download the update using the download links shared below.
Manually download KB3140743 cumulative update from Microsoft Update Catalog website:
Alternatively, you can use the direct download links listed for your edition of Windows 10:
x64 (for Windows 10 64-bit):
x86 (for Windows 10 32-bit):
Manually download KB3139907 Servicing stack update from Microsoft Update Catalog website:
Alternatively, you can use the direct download links listed