Internet Explorer 9: Keyboard Shortcuts plus Product Guide [Quick Tip]
Microsoft has released Internet Explorer 9 few days back with a new interface, advanced features and a variety of improvements. But this new minimalistic interface comes at a price. To help users use IE9 faster, Microsoft has released some keyboard shortcuts. While some of these keyboard shortcuts may be new, but some were already available in earlier versions of IE.
Use the keyboard shortcuts below to streamline repetitive actions in IE9.
- Press the Alt key to show the menu bar
- Alt + M : Open your homepage
- Alt + C : Open Favorites/Feeds/History window
- Alt + X : Open the Tools menu
- Alt + Left/Right : Move Back/Forward through your History
- Alt + N : Focus the new bottom-hugging Notification bar (then press Enter for the first button, or Esc to dismiss it)
- Ctrl + T : Open a new Tab
- Ctrl + Tab : Switch between tabs
- Ctrl + N : Open a new Window
- Ctrl + W : Close current Tab
- Ctrl + L : Sets your keyboard focus to the One Bar (address bar), and selects the current URL
- Ctrl + Shift + L : Load a URL present in your clipboard; if you have a text string in your clipboard, it searches your default search engine for it
- Ctrl + D : Add current page to your Favorites (bookmarks)
- Ctrl + B : Organize your Favorites
- Ctrl + J : Opens the Download Manager
- Ctrl + K : Duplicates your current tab
- Ctrl + Alt + P : Open an InPrivate Browsing window
- F12 : Open the developer console (Now press Alt + 7/8/9/Q to change the rendering mode)
- Alt + L : Open the Help menu
Microsoft has also updated the IE9 product guide (manual) which gives detailed information about the new features in IE9, will help you in getting started and easily understand most of the useful features in IE9. Read on to learn more about how Internet Explorer 9 unlocks the Beauty of the Web.
Internet Explorer 9 Product Guide (PDF) 28 MB
Internet Explorer 9 Product Guide (XPS) 8.6 MB
Internet Explorer 9 is available for Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 only.