How To Install iOS Update On iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
iOS 7.1.2 update is now available for compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices. When a new iOS update releases, people who are new to the iOS world, wonders how to install iOS update. So, here we are with a simple tutorial that will help you out.
There are three ways to install iOS update on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch device. The easiest way is to install iOS update via over-the-air (OTA). The next procedure allows you to install update using iTunes. This is useful if you fail to install the update via OTA. The third method involves using a IPSW file to update your iOS device. This method is only recommended for advance users only.
In this tutorial, we will cover all the three methods (that are available) to install iOS update. You will learn how to install iOS update via OTA, using iTunes and using the IPSW firmware file via iTunes.
Before you try to install iOS update, make sure:
- Your iOS device is fully charged.
- Has enough free storage space (your device will tell you if you have low space) to install the update.
- You are using a WiFi connection to download the update.
- If you use iTunes or IPSW file to install the update, make sure you have the latest iTunes version installed.
- You have taken a backup of your device using either iCloud or iTunes.
How To Install iOS 7.1.2 (or 7.1.1, or 7.1) Update Over-the-Air (OTA)
Installing the latest iOS update via OTA is the easiest way available. The device downloads and installs the latest iOS update on your iOS device with minimal interaction from you.
Follow the steps below to install the latest iOS update via OTA.
- Tap on the Settings app present on your device.
- On the left pane tap on General, then on the right pane tap on Software Update.
- Let your device check for the latest available iOS update.
- Once your device finds an update, you will see the option to download and install it.
- Tap on the Download and Install option to download the update.
- Once download is complete, tap the Install button. Your device will restart a few times to finish the installing the update.
If your device fails to install iOS update via OTA, try the next tutorial to install it using iTunes.
How To Install iOS Update via iTunes
Follow the steps below to install the latest iOS update using iTunes.
- Connect your device to your Mac or PC using the 30-pin to USB cable or Lightning Connector to USB cable and launch iTunes.
- You should now see your device in iTunes. iTunes should prompt you to download and install the update. You can also click on the Update button present in the Summary tab.
- Let iTunes finish the download of the latest iOS update and install it. You should not disconnect your device or interrupt it until the update process completes.
How To Install iOS Update Using IPSW File
So, you are new to the advance group of users in the iOS world? We know, you like to mess around your device and you may need to have the IPSW file handy to restore your device. The latest download links of iOS 7.1.2 IPSW files are listed on this page.
Let’s now see how you can download and install iOS update using IPSW file.
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac or PC using the 30-pin to USB cable or Lightning Connector to USB cable and launch iTunes.
- Once iTunes detects your connected iOS device, select it from the iTunes sidebar.
- While you’re in the Summary tab, keep the Shift Key (in Windows) or the Alt / Option Key (in Mac) pressed to see the Restore button. Click on the Restore button. You will now be able to browse and select the downloaded iOS 7.1.2 IPSW firmware file relevant to your device.
- Let iTunes complete the restore process and reboot your device. After reboot you should see your device running the latest iOS 7.1.2.
Let us know if you face any problem through comments. And don’t forget to share this tutorial with your friends.