Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is a very popular security app for protecting computers running Windows operating system from malware. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is available both as a freeware and as a paid commercial version with advanced protection features like real-time system protection. But for most users, the freeware version is still very useful to detect malware via manual scan of the system. The parent company behind MBAM, Malwarebytes Corporation, has released another security application, called Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit. Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit is in beta stage of production and may not be suitable for all users.
Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, as its name suggests, is a standalone rootkit remover. The company advertises the product as a “cutting edge technology for detecting and removing the nastiest malicious rootkits.” Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit is a portable application, which you can carry around in your portable drives and run. Thus its a very vital application to repair a computer system and will also find its place in the must have tools for your system admin toolkit.
How to use Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to remove rootkits from your system?
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and unzip the contents to a folder of your choice.
- Open the folder where you unzipped Anti-Rootkit contents and run the executable mbar.exe. You may receive a UAC prompt which you need to allow.
- Simply follow the wizard of the program to update databases and do a scan of your computer for threats.
- After scan is complete, if the program finds any threats, click on the Cleanup button to remove the threats. You may also be prompted to restart your computer system.
- After cleaning, re-scan your system for threats. If no additional threats were found, verify that your system is now running normally.
- Make sure the following are functioning properly:
- Internet access
- Windows Update
- Windows Firewall
- If you notice additional problems with your computer system, run the included fixdamage.exe executable and reboot the computer.
- After reboot, verify that the system is functioning properly or not.
The beta version which is available for download will expire on December 10, 2012. No additional information is provided by the developers including operating system compatibility and system requirements.