Upgrade Ubuntu 12.04 To Ubuntu 12.10 [How To]
Canonical has released Ubuntu 12.10 few days back. Ubuntu 12.10 is now available for download. If you are installing Ubuntu as a fresh install, then this article may not be what you are looking for. This article outlines steps you should take if you want to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 12.10.
If you are using Ubuntu 12.04, which is a Long Term Support (LTS) release, you need to do some changes in the Update Manager before you can upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10. LTS release means the release will be supported with bug fixes and security for the next 5 years from the day it was released.
If you are wondering what changes you need to make in the Update Manager before you get the pop message which says a new Ubuntu version is available, follow this simple how to article.
How to Upgrade Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 12.10?
Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu 12.10 on a desktop system
- You need to first open the Update Manager. You can do so, either from the Power Menu or the Dash.
- Now, click on the Settings button present in the lower-left corner of the Update Manager window.
- The Settings button will open Software Sources dialog box. Click on the Updates tab. In the tab, come to the section that says, Notify me of a new Ubuntu version. Change this option to For Any New Version and DO NOT change any other settings here.
- After you’ve changed the option, you’ll be prompted to type your Ubuntu account’s password to confirm changes. Close Software Sources, also close Update Manager. Then reopen Update Manager again. You’ll now see an option to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10.
- But before you click on Upgrade, it’s always a good idea to first Install Updates which are pending. After you’ve installed all pending updates, click on the Upgrade button to begin upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10.
Important: Backup your important files and folders before you upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10. After upgrading, you’ll find custom PPA, which you’ve added, disabled. If you want app updates, which relies on a custom PPA you added earlier, you need to add it again.